[openstack-dev] [tripleo][ironic][heat] Adding back the tripleo check job

Derek Higgins derekh at redhat.com
Mon Nov 30 15:19:18 UTC 2015

Hi All,

     A few months tripleo switch from its devtest based CI to one that
was based on instack. Before doing this we anticipated disruption in the
ci jobs and removed them from non tripleo projects.

     We'd like to investigate adding it back to heat and ironic as these
are the two projects where we find our ci provides the most value. But
we can only do this if the results from the job are treated as voting.

     In the past most of the non tripleo projects tended to ignore the
results from the tripleo job as it wasn't unusual for the job to broken
for days at a time. The thing is, ignoring the results of the job is the
reason (the majority of the time) it was broken in the first place.
     To decrease the number of breakages we are now no longer running
master code for everything (for the non tripleo projects we bump the
versions we use periodically if they are working). I believe with this
model the CI jobs we run have become a lot more reliable, there are
still breakages but far less frequently.

What I proposing is we add at least one of our tripleo jobs back to both
heat and ironic (and other projects associated with them e.g. clients,
ironicinspector etc..), tripleo will switch to running latest master of
those repositories and the cores approving on those projects should wait
for a passing CI jobs before hitting approve. So how do people feel
about doing this? can we give it a go? A couple of people have already
expressed an interest in doing this but I'd like to make sure were all
in agreement before switching it on.

thanks,
Derek.