[openstack-dev] [magnum] Autoscaling both clusters and containers

Peng Zhao peng at hyper.sh
Mon Nov 30 10:19:09 UTC 2015

Ryan,
That's where Hyper could help. This blog talks about wasted capacity issue and
the solution:
http://thenewstack.io/hypernetes-brings-multi-tenancy-microservices/
Best Peng
----------------------------------------------------- Hyper - Make VM run like Container

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 6:03 AM, Ryan Rossiter < rlrossit at linux.vnet.ibm.com > wrote:
Hi all,

I was having a discussion with a teammate with respect to container scaling. He
likes the aspect of nova-docker that allows you to scale (essentially)
infinitely almost instantly, assuming you are using a large pool of compute
hosts. In the case of Magnum, if I'm a container user, I don't want to be paying
for a ton of vms that just sit idle, but I also want to have enough vms to
handle my scale when I infrequently need it. But above all, when I need scale, I
don't want to suddenly have to go boot vms and wait for them to start up when I
really need it.

I saw [1] which discusses container scaling, but I'm thinking we can take this
one step further. If I don't want to pay for a lot of vms when I'm not using
them, could I set up an autoscale policy that allows my cluster to expand when
my container concentration gets too high on my existing cluster? It's kind of a
case of nested autoscaling. The containers are scaled based on request demand,
and the cluster vms are scaled based on container count.

I'm unsure of the details of Senlin, but at least looking at Heat autoscaling
[2], this would not be very hard to add to the Magnum templates, and we would
forward those on through the bay API. (I figure we would do this through the
bay, not baymodel, because I can see similar clusters that would want to be
scaled differently).

Let me know if I'm totally crazy or if this is a good idea (or if you guys have
already talked about this before). I would be interested in your feedback.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pip ermail/openstack-dev/2015-Nove mber/078628.html
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wik i/Heat/AutoScaling#AutoScaling _API

Ryan Rossiter (rlrossit)