[openstack-dev] [nova][infra][bugs] Grafana Dashboard for Bugs

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Thu Nov 26 00:09:54 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 04:20:26PM +0100, Markus Zoeller wrote:
> Background
> ==========
> We have "grafana" for data visualization [1] and I'd like to introduce
> a dashboard which shows data from our bug tracker Launchpad. Based on
> ttx's code [2] for the "bugsquashing day stats" [3] I created a PoC
> (screenshot at [4]). The code which collects the data from Launchpad
> and pushes it into a statsd deamon is available at [5]*. Thanks to
> jeblair who showed me all the necessary pieces. I have chosen the
> following namespace hierarchy for the metrics for statsd:
>
>     Metrics
>       |- stats
>            |- gauges
>                 |- launchpad
>                      |- bugs
>                           |- nova
>                                |- new-by-tag
>                                |- not-in-progress-by-importance
>                                |- open-by-importance
>                                |- open-by-status
>
> The two reasons I've chosen it this way are:
> 1) specify "launchpad" in case we will have multiple issue trackers
>    at the same time and want to differ between those two
> 2) specify "nova" to seperate between the OpenStack projects
>
> The code [5] I've written doesn't care about project specifics and can
> be used for the other projects (Neutron, Cinder, Glance, ...) as well
> without any changes. Only the "config.js" file has to be changed if
> a project wants to opt in.
>
> Open points
> ===========
> * Any feedback if the data [4] I've chosen would be helpfull to you?

This is way cool! After we talked the other day, I started thinking more about
this. At first I didn't understand what you wanted to do, but after thinking
about it more and seeing the graph you produced this is very powerful.

> * Which OpenStack project has the right scope for the code [5]?

I'm sure -infra is a good home for it.  However, there could be some integration
with stackalytics too, since it is already hitting launchpad and scraping stats.

> * I still have to create a grafyaml [6] file for that. I've build the
>   PoC dashboard with grafana's GUI.

Count me in to help :)
> * I haven't yet run the code for the novaclient project, that's why
>   there is a "N/A" in the screenshot.
> * I would need an infra-contact who would help me to have this script
>   executed repeatedly in a (tbd) interval (30mins?).

I don't mind helping with the infra bit, shouldn't be hard to find a node to put
this one.