[openstack-dev] [all] [oslo] Please stop removing usedevelop from tox.ini (at least for now)

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Nov 24 07:38:52 UTC 2015

On 24 November 2015 at 20:06, Angus Lees <gus at inodes.org> wrote:
> Ah, I could have been clearer.  A workaround for (2) in the original post:
> If you're starting from an older pip version it can be hard to bootstrap the
> right order of new things to correctly survive the new "; predicate"
> requirements.txt syntax.

Oh. So yes and no. That won't help with a number of failures,
specifically conflicts with pbr in setup_requires which will happen at
sdist time if the setuptools and or pbr *outside* the venv are too
old.

https://rbtcollins.wordpress.com/2015/07/12/bootstrapping-developer-environments-for-openstack/

is my recipe for avoiding issues - and doesn't require mucking about
with system packages, nor changing tox.ini.

It has one known defect - I need to update it for the
python3-as-default changes that are rippling through various distros
at the moment, since they change the packages that one needs to not
use - but putting stuff in a user-install and not touching the system
packages is still superior and doesn't require any purging etc.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist