[openstack-dev] OpenStack-Announce List

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at internap.com
Fri Nov 20 05:29:13 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-19 11:00 PM, Tom Fifield wrote:

> Personally, I no longer consider this volume "low traffic" :)
>
> In addition, I have been recently receiving feedback that users have
> been unsubscribing from or deleting without reading the list's posts.
>
> That isn't good news, given this is supposed to be the place where we
> can make very important announcements and have them read.
>
> One simple suggestion might be to batch the week's client/library
> release notifications into a single email. Another might be to look at
> the audience for the list, what kind of notifications they want, and
> chose the announcements differently.
>
> What do you think we should do to ensure the announce list remains useful?

I think we should first look into the target audience.

I don't see "dev" in the list name and I suspect non-developers people
subscribe in hope to get "important announcements".

I however like being informed of projects and clients releases. They
don't happen often and they are interesting to me as an operator
(projects) and consumer of the OpenStack API (project clients).

I unfortunately don't care much about oslo libraries which are internal
projects consumed by the OpenStack developers as dependencies of the
other major projects. Receiving ~15-25 per week for such releases is too
much for me.

If people care about releases, maybe there should be a openstack-release
list where you can subscribe to tags you care about.

On a side note, I subscribed to openstack-security in hope to receive
security notices but instead they are sent to openstack-announce and
lost among all those release notices.

However, if we move security notices to openstack-security and release
notices to openstack-release, I don't know what's left to read about in
openstack-announce except the "OpenStack Community Weekly Newsletter".

Not much strong suggestion on my side. Maybe we should restrict it to
security notices and major project milestone and stable releases.

--
Mathieu