[openstack-dev] [oslo] [nova] default-next-release opt flag

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Nov 17 17:52:37 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Alexis Lee's message of 2015-11-17 09:28:31 -0800:
> Often in Nova we introduce an option defaulted off (so as not to break
> people) but then we want to make it default in the next release.
>
> Someone suggested an opt flag to mark this but I don't know what impact
> they wanted it to have. IE how the user should be alerted about the
> presence of these flagged options.
>
> If you are that person, or have opinions on this, please reply :)

I'm not that person, but I think it will have limited benefit unless
there is also a flag to pretend its the next release already for testing
purposes. Basically, what you want is the ability for shops to have CI
that runs their deployment/tests with the future default options so they
can drive failures to 0 and be proactive. This would be beneficial to
shops running CD, or stable releases.