[openstack-dev] [neutron][sfc] How could an L2 agent extension access agent methods ?

Henry Fourie louis.fourie at huawei.com
Sat Nov 14 00:03:53 UTC 2015

Ihar,
   See inline.
- Louis

-----Original Message-----
From: Ihar Hrachyshka [mailto:ihrachys at redhat.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2015 1:12 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [neutron][sfc] How could an L2 agent extension access agent methods ?

Henry Fourie <louis.fourie at huawei.com> wrote:

> Ihar,
>    Networking-sfc installs flows on br-int and br-tun for steering
> traffic to the SFC port-pairs. On each bridge additional tables are
> used for an egress forwarding pipeline (from the service VM port) and
> an ingress pipeline (to the service VM port). Rpc operations between
> the OVS driver and agents is used to initiate the flow installation.
>
> We'd like to work with you on defining the L2 extensions.

Hi Henry,

thanks for taking time to specify your needs. Could you please update the etherpad [1] with these details?

LF> Will do.

Speaking of new ovs tables you need, how do you reference to them?
LF> br-int has one new table SF_SELECTOR in the ingress pipeline that is used steer traffic to the correct service VM
by matching on the NSP (Network Service Path) of the MPLS (NSH) header.
br-tun has two new tables in the egress pipeline: GRP_SELECTOR used to select a Group Table by matching on the NSP of the MPLS (NSH) header
and a set of Group Tables to perform load distribution for a port-pair group.

 Is there any ordering guarantees for flows you will need to set that should be provided in scope of that public API of the agent?
LF> No.

 I wonder whether just pushing flows into the existing tables at random points in time can be unstable and break the usual flow assumed by the main agent loop.
LF> No not expect any issues.

Am I making sense?

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/l2-agent-extensions-api-expansion

Ihar