[openstack-dev] [neutron][qos][fwaas] service groups vs. traffic classifiers

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Fri Nov 13 18:20:57 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 01:53:49AM EST, Paul Carver wrote:
> On 11/3/2015 1:03 PM, Sean M. Collins wrote:
> >Anyway, the code is currently up on GitHub - I just threw it on there
> >because I wanted to scratch my hacking itch quickly.
> >
> >https://github.com/sc68cal/neutron-classifier
> >

> Sean,
>
> How much is needed to turn your models into something runnable to the extent
> of populating a database? I'm not really all that proficient with SQL
> Alchemy or SQL in general so I can't really visualize what the polymorphism
> statements in your model actually create.

Yep - the doc links are still not well organized, but when I was writing
the code I had the same issue, so I stuck a lot of debugging stuff in so
I could see the CREATE statements.

https://github.com/sc68cal/neutron-classifier/blob/master/doc/source/usage.rst

It's a little basic right now, it's just one classifier added to a
chain - I'm going to take that and build it out more to show the full
classifier chain that would be created in the DB for something like a
security group or a firewall rule, so you see all the classifiers being
created. Bear with me :)

> I'd like to create a few classifier rules and see what gets populated into
> the database and also to understand complicated of an SQL query is SQL
> Alchemy generating in order to reassemble each rule from its polymorphic
> representation in the database.

Yeah. Right now my unit tests are super hacky, since I'm creating a DB
engine and session and passing them into the API. It's dumb and ugly but
I'm still reading through oslo_db's dev docs and some of how Neutron
creates the database session and packs it into a context so it can be
passed around, so my code doesn't make you want to claw your eyes out.

--
Sean M. Collins