[openstack-dev] [Magnum][Testing] Reduce Functional testing ongate.

Gregory Haynes greg at greghaynes.net
Fri Nov 13 17:58:35 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Hongbin Lu's message of 2015-11-13 16:05:24 +0000:
> I am going to share something that might be off the topic a bit.
>
> Yesterday, I was pulled to the #openstack-infra channel to participant a discussion, which is related to the atomic image download in Magnum. It looks the infra team is not satisfied with the large image size. In particular, they need to double the timeout to accommodate the job [1] [2], which made them unhappy. Is there a way to reduce the image size? Or even better, is it possible to build the image locally instead of downloading it?

> Best regards,
> Hongbin

I am not sure how much of the current job is related to image
downloading (a previous message suggested maybe it isn't much?). If it
is an issue though - we have a tool for making images (DIB[1]) which is
already used by many OpenStack projects and it would be great if support
was added for it to make images that are useful to Magnum. DIB is also
pretty good at making images which are as small as possible, so it might
be a good fit.

I looked at doing this a while ago, and IIRC the atomic images were just
an lvm with a partition for a rootfs and a partition for a docker
overlay fs. The docs look like more options could be supported, but
regardless this seems like something DIB could do if someone was willing
to invest the effort.

Cheers,
Greg

1: http://docs.openstack.org/developer/diskimage-builder/