[openstack-dev] [puppet] <modulename>::db classes

Yanis Guenane yguenane at redhat.com
Fri Nov 13 09:50:35 UTC 2015

On 11/11/2015 03:50 PM, Clayton O'Neill wrote:
> I discovered this issue last night and opened a bug on it (
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/puppet-tuskar/+bug/1515273).
>
> This effects most of the modules, and the short version of it is that the
> defaults in all the <modulename>::db classes are wrong for max_pool_size
> and max_overflow.  We’re setting test to 10 and 20, but oslo_db actually
> has no internal default.
>
> The two options I see for fixing this are to either put in place the old
> traditional:
>
> if $option_name {
>   # ensure value
> } else {
>   # ensure absent
> }
>
> and do that for at least the two values with the wrong defaults, or
> preferably, change the defaults for all of these parameters to use the
> service default fact.
>
> I prefer the latter approach.  I know there has been some discussion on
> Trello about how much we want to be using the service default fact, but as
> near as I can tell, the concerns seem to mostly about not accidentally
> reverting intentionally different values and breaking existing installs.
>
> This scenario seems to be the ideal candidate for just not setting a value
> unless the deployer has specifically asked for something special.

Hi Clayton,

Those values have been initially used because they were part of
puppet-neutron[1], so in order to be consistent with the value in other
modules, 10 and 20 have been picked for max_pool_size and max_overflow.

Base on the quick calculation you put up on IRC yesterday I can see how
this can be troublesome in some cases.

As for the solution, I tend to prefer the latter proposal and go with
the $::os_service_default fact.

Thanks for bringing it up,

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/puppet-neutron/commit/7b54f896aa1a5303c7c79206f13c46149447c9df