[openstack-dev] Help with getting keystone to migrate to Debian testing: fixing repoze.what and friends

Morgan Fainberg morgan.fainberg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 23:31:16 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> All of Liberty would be migrating from Sid to Testing (which is the
> pre-condition for an upload to offical Debian backports) if I didn't
> have a really annoying situation with the repoze.{what,who} packages. I
> feel like I could get some help from the Python export folks here.
>
> What is it about?
> =================
>
> Here's the dependency chain:
>
> - Keystone depends on pysaml2.
> - Pysaml2 depends on python-repoze.who >=2, which I uploaded to Sid.
> - python-repoze.what depends on python-repoze.who < 1.99
>
> Unfortunately, python-repoze.who doesn't migrate to Debian Testing
> because it would make python-repoze.what broken.
>
> To make the situation worse, python-repoze.what build-depends on
> python-repoze.who-testutil, which itself doesn't work with
> python-repoze.who >= 2.
>
> Note: repoze.who-testutil is within the package
> python-repoze.who-plugins who also contains 4 other plugins which are
> all broken with repoze.who >= 2, but the others could be dropped from
> Debian easily). We can't drop repoze.what completely, because there's
> turbogears2 and another package who needs it.
>
> There's no hope from upstream, as all of these seem to be abandoned
> projects.
>
> So I'm a bit stuck here, helpless, and I don't know how to fix the
> situation... :(
>
> What to fix?
> ============
> Make repoze.what and repoze.who-testutil work with repoze.who >= 2.
>
> Call for help
> =============
> I'm a fairly experienced package maintainer, but I still consider myself
> a poor Python coder (probably because I spend all my time packaging
> rather than programming in Python: I know a way better other programing
> languages).
>
> So I would enjoy a lot having some help here, also because my time is
> very limited and probably better invested working on packages to assist
> the whole OpenStack project, rather than upstream code on some weirdo
> dependencies that I don't fully understand.
>
> So, would anyone be able to invest a bit of time, and help me fix the
> problems with repoze.what / repoze.who in Debian? If you can help,
> please ping me on IRC.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

It looks like pysaml2 might be ok with < 1.99 of repoze.who here:
https://github.com/rohe/pysaml2/blob/master/setup.py#L30

I admit I haven't tested it, but the requirements declaration doesn't seem
to enforce the need for > 2. If that is in-fact the case that > 2 is
needed, we are a somewhat of an impass with dead/abandonware holding us
ransom. I'm not sure what the proper handling of that ends up being in the
debian world.

--Morgan