[openstack-dev] Help with getting keystone to migrate to Debian testing: fixing repoze.what and friends

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Nov 10 23:20:43 UTC 2015

Hi there!

All of Liberty would be migrating from Sid to Testing (which is the
pre-condition for an upload to offical Debian backports) if I didn't
have a really annoying situation with the repoze.{what,who} packages. I
feel like I could get some help from the Python export folks here.

What is it about?
=================

Here's the dependency chain:

- Keystone depends on pysaml2.
- Pysaml2 depends on python-repoze.who >=2, which I uploaded to Sid.
- python-repoze.what depends on python-repoze.who < 1.99

Unfortunately, python-repoze.who doesn't migrate to Debian Testing
because it would make python-repoze.what broken.

To make the situation worse, python-repoze.what build-depends on
python-repoze.who-testutil, which itself doesn't work with
python-repoze.who >= 2.

Note: repoze.who-testutil is within the package
python-repoze.who-plugins who also contains 4 other plugins which are
all broken with repoze.who >= 2, but the others could be dropped from
Debian easily). We can't drop repoze.what completely, because there's
turbogears2 and another package who needs it.

There's no hope from upstream, as all of these seem to be abandoned
projects.

So I'm a bit stuck here, helpless, and I don't know how to fix the
situation... :(

What to fix?
============
Make repoze.what and repoze.who-testutil work with repoze.who >= 2.

Call for help
=============
I'm a fairly experienced package maintainer, but I still consider myself
a poor Python coder (probably because I spend all my time packaging
rather than programming in Python: I know a way better other programing
languages).

So I would enjoy a lot having some help here, also because my time is
very limited and probably better invested working on packages to assist
the whole OpenStack project, rather than upstream code on some weirdo
dependencies that I don't fully understand.

So, would anyone be able to invest a bit of time, and help me fix the
problems with repoze.what / repoze.who in Debian? If you can help,
please ping me on IRC.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)