[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Do we need to have a mid-cycle?

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 17:08:51 UTC 2015

On 11/10/2015 05:45 PM, Lucas Alvares Gomes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the last Ironic meeting [1] we started a discussion about whether
> we need to have a mid-cycle meeting for the Mitaka cycle or not. Some
> ideas about the format of the midcycle were presented in that
> conversation and this email is just a follow up on that conversation.
>
> The ideas presented were:
>
> 1. Normal mid-cycle
>
> Same format as the previous ones, the meetup will happen in a specific
> venue somewhere in the world.

I would really want to see you all as often as possible. However, I
don't see much value in proper face-to-face mid-cycles as compared to
improving our day-to-day online communications.

> 2. Virtual mid-cycle
>
> People doing a virtual hack session on IRC / google hangout /
> others... Something like virtual sprints [2].

Actually we could do it more often that mid-cycles and with less
planning. Say, when we feel a need to. Face-to-face communication is the
most important part of a mid-cycle, so this choice is not an
alternative, just one more good thing we could do from time to time.

> 3. Coordinated regional mid-cycles
>
> Having more than one meetup happening in different parts of the world
> with a preferable time overlap between them so we could use video
> conference for some hours each day to sync up what was done/discussed
> on each of the meetups.

This sounds like a good compromise between not having a midcycle at all
(I include virtual sprints in this category too) and spending a big
budget on traveling overseas. I would try something like that.