[openstack-dev] [stable][infra][neutron] ZUUL_BRANCH not set for periodic stable jobs

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Nov 9 22:30:52 UTC 2015

Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2015-11-09 17:31:00 +0100 (+0100), Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> [...]
>> From the failure log, I determined that the tests fail because they assume
>> neutron/liberty code, but actually run against neutron/master (that does
>> not
>> have that neutron.plugins.embrane.* namespace because the plugin was
>> removed
>> in Mitaka).
>>
>> I then compared how we fetch neutron in gate and in periodic jobs, and I
>> see
>> that ZUUL branch is not set in the latter jobs.
> [...]
>
> Short answer is that the periodic trigger in Zuul is changeless and
> thus branchless. It just wakes up at the specified time and starts a
> list of jobs associated with that pipeline for any projects. This is
> why the working periodic jobs have different names than their gerrit
> triggered pipeline equivalents... they need to hard-code a branch
> (usually as a JJB parameter).
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

UPD: we discussed the matter with Jeremy in irc in more details and came up
to agreement that the best way is actually modifying tools/tox_install.sh
in neutron-lbaas (and other projects affected) to set ZUUL_BRANCH if not
passed from Jenkins.

For neutron-lbaas, I came up with the following patch:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/243333/

Once it’s validated and reviewed, I will propose some more for other
projects (I believe at least vpnaas should be affected).

Once it’s merged in master, I will propose backports for Liberty.

Ihar