[openstack-dev] [stable][infra][neutron] ZUUL_BRANCH not set for periodic stable jobs

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Nov 9 16:31:00 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I noticed that neutron-lbaas jobs for liberty fail when in periodic jobs:

http://logs.openstack.org/periodic-stable/periodic-neutron-lbaas-python27-liberty/3da452c/

But they don’t fail in that way when running in gate:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/242534/

 From the failure log, I determined that the tests fail because they assume
neutron/liberty code, but actually run against neutron/master (that does
not have that neutron.plugins.embrane.* namespace because the plugin was
removed in Mitaka).

I then compared how we fetch neutron in gate and in periodic jobs, and I
see that ZUUL branch is not set in the latter jobs.

For gate jobs, I see:

“””
INFO:zuul.Cloner:Creating repo openstack/neutron from cache
file:///opt/git/openstack/neutron
INFO:zuul.Cloner:Updating origin remote in repo openstack/neutron to
git://git.openstack.org/openstack/neutron
INFO:zuul.Cloner:upstream repo has branch stable/liberty
INFO:zuul.Cloner:Falling back to branch stable/liberty
INFO:zuul.Cloner:Prepared openstack/neutron repo with branch stable/liberty
at commit 4f8e95b0eb84a3659d7f26eeb58425a754bd3606
“”"

But for periodic jobs, I see:

“””
INFO:zuul.Cloner:Creating repo openstack/neutron from cache
file:///opt/git/openstack/neutron
INFO:zuul.Cloner:Updating origin remote in repo openstack/neutron to
git://git.openstack.org/openstack/neutron
INFO:zuul.Cloner:upstream repo is missing branch None
INFO:zuul.Cloner:Falling back to branch master
INFO:zuul.Cloner:Prepared openstack/neutron repo with branch master at
commit 669dcc41bb04b8c0e0b914d95b84321ecd44be69
“”"

(all snippets are from tox/py27-1.log files in log dirs.)

For lbaas/liberty, we fetch neutron code using the following code:

https://github.com/openstack/neutron-lbaas/blob/stable/liberty/tools/tox_install.sh#L24

Note that we *don’t* pass --branch or --zuul_branch as an argument to
zuul-cloner. I guess if we would add the argument there, it would correctly
fetch neutron/liberty for us, and everything would work.

Now, before I go to neutron-lbaas and other neutron repos that use similar
approach to fetch neutron code and fix it with explicit branch argument, I
wonder whether a better fix would be to actually set ZUUL_BRANCH for those
periodic jobs, making them more in line with gate.

So, I have several questions:
- is there any technical reason not to pass the envvar for those jobs?
- if not, then where I can enforce it in infra repos? [I tried to locate
the proper place myself, but apparently my jjb-fu is not good enough.]

Thanks
Ihar