[openstack-dev] [all] summarizing the cross-project summit session on Mitaka themes

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Nov 9 12:52:11 UTC 2015

Doug Hellmann wrote:
> One thing I forgot to mention in my original email was the discussion
> about when we would have this themes conversation for the N cycle.
> I had originally hoped we would discuss the themes online before
> the summit, and that those would inform decisions about summit
> sessions. Several other folks in the room made the point that we
> were unlikely to come up with a theme so surprising that we would
> add or drop a summit session from any existing planning, so having
> the discussion in person at the summit to add background to the
> other sessions for the week was more constructive.

So I was stuck in Design Summit 101 during this session and couldn't
attend. Saying that discussing common themes before summit planning is
unlikely to change design summit session contents strikes me as odd.
That's equivalent to saying that the right themes are picked anyway.
That may be the case for some projects, but certainly not the case for
all projects, otherwise we wouldn't be having that discussion to begin
with...

Personally I think we need to have the cycle themes discussion before
the design summit so that it can really influence what gets discussed
there and ends up in real action items. Adding background at the last
minute to already-decided session topics is just not enough to trigger
real progress in those key areas.

Why can't we have that discussion on the ML in the second half of the
cycle, between the midcycle sprints and the summit planning ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)