[openstack-dev] [all] summarizing the cross-project summit session on Mitaka themes

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Fri Nov 6 23:04:16 UTC 2015

One thing I forgot to mention in my original email was the discussion
about when we would have this themes conversation for the N cycle.
I had originally hoped we would discuss the themes online before
the summit, and that those would inform decisions about summit
sessions. Several other folks in the room made the point that we
were unlikely to come up with a theme so surprising that we would
add or drop a summit session from any existing planning, so having
the discussion in person at the summit to add background to the
other sessions for the week was more constructive. I'd like to hear
from some folks about whether that worked out this time, and then
we can decide closer to the N summit whether to use an email thread
or some other venue instead of (or in addition to) a summit session
in Austin.

I also plan to start some email threads this cycle after each
milestone to re-consider the themes and get feedback about how we're
making progress.  I hope the release liaisons, at least, will
participate in those discussions, and it would be great to have the
product working group involved as well.

As far as rolling upgrades, I know a couple of projects are thinking
about that this cycle. As I said in the summary of that part of the
session, it's not really a feature that we're going to implement
and call "done" so much as a shift in thinking about how we design
things in the future. Tracking the specs and blueprints for work
related to that across all projects would be helpful, especially
early in the cycle like this where feedback on requirements will
make the most difference.

Doug

Excerpts from Barrett, Carol L's message of 2015-11-06 21:32:11 +0000: