[openstack-dev] [all][api][tc][perfromance] API for getting only status of resources

Boris Pavlovic boris at pavlovic.me
Tue Nov 3 22:20:10 UTC 2015

Hi stackers,

Usually such projects like Heat, Tempest, Rally, Scalar, and other tool
that works with OpenStack are working with resources (e.g. VM, Volumes,
Images, ..) in the next way:

>>> resource = api.resouce_do_some_stuff()
>>> while api.resource_get(resource["uuid"]) != expected_status
>>>    sleep(a_bit)

For each async operation they are polling and call many times
resource_get() which creates significant load on API and DB layers due the
nature of this request. (Usually getting full information about resources
produces SQL requests that contains multiple JOINs, e,g for nova vm it's 6
joins).

What if we add new API method that will just resturn resource status by
UUID? Or even just extend get request with the new argument that returns
only status?

Thoughts?

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic