[openstack-dev] Upgrading elasticsearch cluster Monday 11/9

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Tue Nov 3 21:33:00 UTC 2015

Hello,

The infrastructure team will be upgrading the Elasticsearch cluster used
by Logstash and elastic-recheck on Monday November 9th starting at about
1700UTC.

Because we are upgrading from 0.90.9 to 1.7.3 this will require a full
cluster restart. During the cluster restart you will not be able to make
searches against the cluster. We will be queuing new log indexing jobs
in Gearman so indexing will resume after the cluster restart.

This upgrade gives us a few new features like aggregations, rolling
upgrades within a major release, and should improve performance of the
cluster. It will also enable us to update the versions of Logstash and
Kibana (again) that we use modernizing the whole setup. Also,
Elasticsearch 2.0 just released so we may repeat this process as soon as
the other tooling and libs support the newer API version.

Sorry for the disruption but this should lead to even shinier
Elasticsearchy things during the Mitaka cycle. Do let us know if you
have questions, concerns, or crazy Elasticsearch upgrade stories to
share.

Thank you,
Clark