[openstack-dev] [all] [stable] No longer doing stable point releases

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri May 29 18:40:33 UTC 2015

On 5/29/2015 10:00 AM, David Medberry wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 7:41 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org
> <mailto:thierry at openstack.org>> wrote:
>
>     If you were a consumer of those and will miss them, please explain why.
>     In particular, please let us know how consuming that version (which was
>     only made available every n months) is significantly better than picking
>     your preferred time and get all the current stable branch HEADs at that
>     time.
>

> If vendor packages are used (as many folks do) they will need to weigh
> in before operators can really give valid feedback.
> I've already heard from one vendor that they will continue to do
> "point-like" releases that they will support, but we probably need a
> more complete answer.
>
> Another issue, operators pulling from stable will just need to do a bit
> more diligence themselves (and this is probably appropriate.) One thing
> we will do in this diligence is something of tracking rate of new bugs
> and looking for windows of opportunity where there may be semi-quiescence.

This, IMO, is about the only time right now that I see doing point
releases on stable as worthwhile.  In other words, things have been very
touchy in stable for at least the last 6 months, so in the rare moments
of stability with the gate on stable is when I'd cut a release before
the next gate breaker.  You can get some examples of why here:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stable-tracker