[openstack-dev] [Nova] Using depends-on for patches which require an approved spec

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 18:15:25 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 8:45 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 02:57:23PM -0700, Michael Still wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > it would be cool if devs posting changes for nova which depend on us
> > approving their spec could use Depends-On to make sure their code
> > doesn't land until the spec does.
>
> Does it actually bring any benefit ?  Any change for which there is
> a spec is already supposed to be tagged with 'Blueprint: foo-bar-wiz'
> and nova core devs are supposed to check the blueprint is approved
> before +A'ing it.  So also adding a Depends-on just feels redundant
> to me, and so is one more hurdle for contributors to remember to
> add. If we're concerned people forget the Blueprint tag, or forget
> to check blueprint approval, then we'll just have same problem with
> depends-on - people will forget to add it, and cores will forget
> to check the dependant change. So this just feels like extra rules
> for no gain and extra pain.

I think it does have a benefit. Giving a spec implementation patches,
commonly signals to reviewers to not review this patch (a -2 looks scary).
Instead of there was a depends-on no scary -2 is needed, we also wouldn't
need to hunt down the -2er and ask them to remove it (can be a delay due to
timezones). Anything that reduces the number of procedural -2s we need is a
good thing IMHO. But that doesn't mean we should require folks to do this,
we can try it out on a few patches and see how it goes.