[openstack-dev] OpenStack 2015.1.0 for Debian Sid and Jessie

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Sat May 16 16:20:29 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Jeremy Stanley's message of 2015-05-16 16:02:30 +0000:
> On 2015-05-16 16:37:45 +0100 (+0100), Neil Jerram wrote:
> > I recall people on this ML talking about some systematic change in
> > Oslo module naming - could it possibly be related?
>
> Specifically, oslo libraries have switched to no longer being
> namespace packages[*].
>
> [*] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0420/#namespace-packages-today

Python packaging makes a distinction between the name of the thing
you import (the "package") and the name of the thing you download
and install (the "distribution" or just "dist"). Most of the time
those are the same, but they don't have to be.

The Oslo libraries that were under namespace packages started out
with package names like oslo.config and dist names that matched.
With the changes in Kilo and Liberty to remove the "oslo" namespace
package, we have moded the code into unique top-level packages with
names like "oslo_config". To avoid confusion downstream, especially
with requirements files for OpenStack projects, we kept the dist
names the same as they had been.

So, you "pip install oslo.config" and then "from oslo_config import
cfg".

More details in
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/oslo-specs/specs/kilo/drop-namespace-packages.html

Doug