[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [nova] Are we happy with libvirt-python >= 1.2.0 ?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri May 15 14:43:24 UTC 2015

> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 02:45:06PM +0100, John Garbutt wrote:

>>> BTW, the code you quote here:
>>>
>>>     http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/nova/virt/libvirt/host.py?id=2015.1.0#n754
>>>
>>> is not actually working around a bug the libvirt hypervisor. It is in fact
>>> a bug in the libvirt-python API binding. As such we don't actually need to
>>> increase the min required libvirt to be able to remove that check. In fact
>>> increasing the min required libvirt is the wrong thing todo, because it is
>>> possible for someone to have the min required libvirt, but by accessing it
>>> via an older libvirt-python which still has the bug.
>>>
>>> So what's really needed is a dep on libvirt-python >= 1.2.0, not libvirt.
>>>
>>> We don't express min required versions for libvirt-python in the
>>> requirements.txt file though, since it is an optional package and we
>>> don't have any mechanism for recording min versions for those AFAIK.
>>
>> Does this mean we can drop the above [3] code?
>> https://github.com/openstack/requirements/blob/master/global-requirements.txt#L56
>
> Hmm, I didn't know it was listed in global-requirements.txt - I only
> checked the requirements.txt and test-requirements.txt in Nova itself
> which does not list libvirt-python.
>
> Previously test-requirements.txt did have it, but we dropped it, since
> the unit tests now exclusively use fakelibvirt.
>
> To answer your question though, if global-requirements.txt is enforcing
> that we have libvirt-python 1.2.5, then we can drop that particular
> workaround.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

Right, I plan to add libvirt-python back to nova's test-requirements.txt
to remove the workaround in host.py.

We originally removed libvirt-python from nova's test-requirements.txt
because it was mucking up nova unit tests which were at the time doing a
conditional import of libvirt-python so if you had that, the unit tests
ran against whatever version you got and if it didn't import, you ran
against fakelibvirt.  We should be using fakelibvirt everywhere in the
unit tests now so we can add libvirt-python back to
test-requirements.txt as an indication of the minimum required version
of an optional dependency (required if you're using libvirt).

Matt Riedemann