[openstack-dev] [nova][all] Architecture Diagrams in ascii art?

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Wed May 13 21:46:39 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 02:36:48PM -0700, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> Dolph Mathews wrote:
> >Developers can handle ASCII. Developers can't handle steel blue versus
> >cornflower blue.
> >
> >But seriously, graphics collaboratively authored by developers should,
> >ideally, be editable via a text file. Otherwise they won't be maintained.
>
> I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if people don't have the
> motivation to open a program such as dia[1] (which is opensource and
> available for mac/linux/windows) and edit a diagram there I'm not exactly
> sure they'll have a motivation to open a text file either...
>
> Lazy (or unmotivated) people will be lazy (or unmotivated) no matter what u
> provide them...

I don't think it's about being lazy or unmotivated, but a different way of
looking at something. I mean personally I'm far more comfortable editing a
text file in my editor than messing with drawing blocks or lines between them.
That's part of why I normally do all my presentations in Beamer/LaTeX. I
normally feel quite lost when I have to deal with a graphic editing or WYIWG
kinda tool for making anything. (and I know that I always pick the wrong color)

What I think Dolph is bringing up here is something that's come up before in
this thread, which is the easy to iterate, edit, and review story. Which might
be something that we lose by switching to storing a graphics format in the
repos even if there are good open source tools available for interacting with
them. It's about introducing a new workflow to use, not the availability of
tooling.

-Matt Treinish