[openstack-dev] [Nova] The security group is confused in the create server api

Lei Zhang zhang.lei.fly at gmail.com
Wed May 13 06:49:57 UTC 2015

In the legency network, there only one nic. So it is OK and understandable
by using following cli.

    nova boot test --flavor m1.tiny --security_group ssh --security_group
http --image cirros

The instance only have one network associate with several security groups.

But in Neutron Network, we can attach more than one network to the
instance. It will be confused using the following cli.

    nova boot test --flavor m1.tiny --security_group ssh --security_group
http --nic net-id=xxxxxxxxxxx --nic port-id=yyyyyyyyyyy

Which port/nic the security group should bind to?  the first one? both?

The legacy network will be removed and I think it is the time to change the
API to satisfied the new situation. May be the new cli like below:

    nova boot test --flavor m1.tiny --nic net-id=xxxxxx,security_group=ssh
 --nic port-id=yyyyyyyyy --nic
net-id=zzzzzzzz,security_group=http,security_group=mysql

Related Bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1195720

--
Lei Zhang
Blog: http://xcodest.me