[openstack-dev] [TripleO] puppet pacemaker thoughts... and an idea

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Thu May 7 02:32:40 UTC 2015

Looking over some of the Puppet pacemaker stuff today. I appreciate all
the hard work going into this effort but I'm not quite happy about all
of the conditionals we are adding to our puppet overcloud_controller.pp
manifest. Specifically it seems that every service will basically have
its resources duplicated for pacemaker and non-pacemaker version of the
controller by checking the $enable_pacemaker variable.

After seeing it play out for a couple services I think I might prefer it
better if we had an entirely separate template for the "pacemaker"
version of the controller. One easy way to kick off this effort would be
to use the Heat resource registry to enable pacemaker rather than a
parameter.

Something like this:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/180833/

If we were to split out the controller into two separate templates I
think it might be appropriate to move a few things into puppet-tripleo
to de-duplicate a bit. Things like the database creation for example.
But probably not all of the services... because we are trying as much as
possible to use the stackforge puppet modules directly (and not our own
composition layer).

I think this split is a good compromise and would probably even speed up
the implementation of the remaining pacemaker features too. And removing
all the pacemaker conditionals we have from the non-pacemaker version
puts us back in a reasonably clean state I think.

Dan