[openstack-dev] [all] Replace mysql-python with mysqlclient

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Tue May 5 19:56:52 UTC 2015

On 5/5/15 3:07 PM, Mike Bayer wrote:

> On 5/5/15 1:11 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>

>> On 04/30/2015 05:00 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I propose to replace mysql-python with mysqlclient in OpenStack
>>> applications to get Python 3 support, bug fixes and some new
>>> features (support MariaDB's libmysqlclient.so, support microsecond
>>> in TIME column).
>>
>> In fact, when looking at the python-mysqldb package description in
>> Debian, I can see:
>>
>>  Mysqlclient is an interface to the popular MySQL database server for
>>  Python.
>>  .
>>  This is a fork of MySQLdb. It add Python 3.3 support and merges some
>>  pull requests.
>>
>> Then I saw this:
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=768096
>
> Wow, the thread decides to go forward with the move based on incorrect
> information.  MySQL-Python's last release was on Jan 2, 2014, *not* in
> 2010.  They are looking at the entirely wrong repository.
>
> Andy Dustman is a real person who is easily locatable on many services
> including Twitter, Linkedin, Github, etc.      Any chance that anyone
> has tried to get a comment from him on this, given that with the
> Django recommendation and the distro package moves, his package is
> about to be more or less wiped out of most major distributions?    It
> just would be good style IMHO.
There's also a great thread from Naoki on the Django list, where at
least we can get a view of his plans for the project:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/django-developers/n-TI8mBcegE/hlNLYncAFFkJ
e.g. he isn't going to go for new features or anything like that, just
ongoing compatibility.  That's a good thing.

But what we really want here is for Naoki to be able to release new
MySQL-Python versions.   I'd like to see if we can get a hold of Andy
Dustman and get his feelings on that.

Right now, I cannot test SQLAlchemy against both MySQL-Python and
mysqlclient conveniently.   I need to make two different virtual
environments and run the whole test suite separately.     My test suite
is able to run the tests against multiple backends in one Python process
and with this packaging/import arrangement that's not possible.

Having two packages that both install into the same name is the least
ideal arrangement and I don't see why we have to settle for a mediocre
outcome like that.  What we want is MySQL-Python to be maintained, we
have a maintainer, we have the code, we have everything we need, except
a password.   We should at least make an attempt at that outcome.