[openstack-dev] [all] Replace mysql-python with mysqlclient

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Tue May 5 19:07:34 UTC 2015

On 5/5/15 1:11 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> On 04/30/2015 05:00 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I propose to replace mysql-python with mysqlclient in OpenStack
>> applications to get Python 3 support, bug fixes and some new features
>> (support MariaDB's libmysqlclient.so, support microsecond in TIME
>> column).
>
> In fact, when looking at the python-mysqldb package description in
> Debian, I can see:
>
>  Mysqlclient is an interface to the popular MySQL database server for
>  Python.
>  .
>  This is a fork of MySQLdb. It add Python 3.3 support and merges some
>  pull requests.
>
> Then I saw this:

Wow, the thread decides to go forward with the move based on incorrect
information.  MySQL-Python's last release was on Jan 2, 2014, *not* in
2010.  They are looking at the entirely wrong repository.

Andy Dustman is a real person who is easily locatable on many services
including Twitter, Linkedin, Github, etc.      Any chance that anyone
has tried to get a comment from him on this, given that with the Django
recommendation and the distro package moves, his package is about to be
more or less wiped out of most major distributions?    It just would be
good style IMHO.