[openstack-dev] [all] cross project communication: periodic developer newsletter?

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Tue May 5 18:03:52 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 3:35 PM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org>
wrote:

> Thanks Joe for bringing this up. I have always tried to find topics
> worth being covered in the weekly newsletter. I assemble that newsletter
> thinking of developers and operators as the main targets, I'd like both
> audiences to have one place to look at weekly and skim rapidly to see if
> they missed something interesting.
>
> Over the years I have tried to change it based on feedback I received so
> this conversation is great to have
>
> On 05/04/2015 12:03 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:
> > The  big questions I would like to see answered are:
> >
> > * What are the big challenges each project is currently working on?
> > * What can we learn from each other?
> > * Where are individual projects trying to solve the same problem
> > independently?
>
> These are all important and interesting questions. When there were fewer
> projects it wasn't too hard to keep things together. Nowadays there is a
> lot more going on and in gerrit, which requires a bit more upfront
> investment to be useful.
>
> > To answer these questions one needs to look at a lot of sources,
> including:
> >
> > * Weekly meeting logs, or hopefully just the notes assuming we get
> > better at taking detailed notes
>
> I counted over 80 meetings each week: if they all took excellent notes,
> with clear #info lines for the relevant stuff, one person would be able
> probably to parse them all in a couple hours every week to identify
> items worth reporting.
>
> My experience is that IRC meeting logs don't convey anything useful to
> outsiders. Pick any project log from
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/ and you'll see what I mean.
> Even the best ones don't really mean much to those not into the project
> itself.
>
> I am very skeptical that we can educate all meeting participants to take
> notes that can be meaningful to outsiders. I am also not sure that the
> IRC meeting notes are the right place for this.
>
> Maybe it would make more sense to educate PTLs and liasons to nudge me
> with a brief email or log in some sort of notification bucket a quick
> snippet of text to share with the rest of the contributors.

Makes sense to me.

> > * approved specs
>
> More than the approved ones, which are easy to spot on
> specs.openstack.org, I think the new ones proposed are more interesting.
>
> Ideally I would find a way to publish draft specs on
> specs.openstack.org/drafts/ or somehow provide a way for uneducated (to
> gerrit) readers to more easily discover what's coming.
>
> Until a better technical solution exists, I can pull regularly from all
> status:open changesets from *-specs repositories and put them in a
> section of the weekly newsletter.

You can search for the  list of merged specs by age (last updated) to get a
decent view of what merged since last week.

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/is:merged+age:1week+project:%255Eopenstack/.*-specs,n,z

> > * periodically talk to the PTL of each project to see if any big
> > discussions were discussed else where
>
> I think this already happen in the xproject meeting, doesn't it?

Things come up in the xproject meeting that we already know to be cross
project. If two projects independently are tackling the same issue they may
not realize there is room for collaboration.

> > * Topics selected for discussion at summits
>
> I'm confused about this: aren't these visible already as part of the
> schedule?

Yes they are,  but going through the list of all the topics and making a
list of the big ticket items/highlights is still a lot of work.