[openstack-dev] [all] cross project communication: periodic developer newsletter?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 5 08:45:19 UTC 2015

Joe Gordon wrote:
> [...]
> To tackle this I would like to propose the idea of a periodic developer
> oriented newsletter, and if we agree to go forward with this, hopefully
> the foundation can help us find someone to write newsletter.

I've been discussing the idea of a "LWN" for OpenStack for some time,
originally with Mark McLoughlin. For those who don't know it, LWN
(lwn.net) is a source of quality tech reporting on Linux in general (and
the kernel in particular). It's written by developers and tech reporters
and funded by subscribers.

An LWN-like OpenStack development newsletter would provide general
status, dive into specific features, report on specific
talks/conferences, summarize threads etc. It would be tremendously
useful to the development community.

The issue is, who can write such content ? It is a full-time job to
produce authored content, you can't just copy (or link to) content
produced elsewhere. It takes a very special kind of individual to write
such content: the person has to be highly technical, able to tackle any
topic, and totally connected with the OpenStack development community.
That person has to be cross-project and ideally have already-built
legitimacy. It's basically the kind of profile every OpenStack company
is struggling and fighting to hire. And that rare person should not
really want to spend that much time developing (or become CTO of a
startup) but prefer to write technical articles about what happens in
OpenStack development. I'm not sure such a person exists. And a
newsletter actually takes more than one such person, because it's a lot
of work (even if not weekly).

So as much as I'd like this to happen, I'm not convinced it's worth
getting excited unless we have clear indication that we would have
people willing and able to pull it off. The matter of who pays the bill
is secondary -- I just don't think the profile exists.

For the matter, I tried to push such an idea in the past and couldn't
find anyone to fit the rare profile I think is needed to succeed. All
the people I could think of had other more interesting things to do. I
don't think things changed -- but I'd love to be proven wrong.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)