[openstack-dev] [neutron] replace external ip monitor

Peter V. Saveliev peter at svinota.eu
Mon May 4 14:06:18 UTC 2015

On 05/04/2015 02:58 PM, Assaf Muller wrote:
<skip />
> How's packaging looking on all supported platforms?

It is packaged already for Fedora, RHEL, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo as soon
as I know. Maybe for some other platforms. Pypi is provided as well.

> On a related note, ip_monitor.py is 87 lines of code, I'd be wary of getting
> rid of it and using a full blown library instead

Strictly speaking, the monitoring code using native netlink will not be
more complicated. In the current state Popen + iproute2 are under the
hood. Though well-tested and widely used, that's true. In the proposed
way it will be pyroute2, and it also has more than 200 hundreds of
functional tests in the regression testing cycle.

>Then again, using pyroute2, we might want to replace other pieces of
 > code (Such as parts of ip_lib).

Probably. It is capable to manage most of interface types (incl.
transparent support of userspace-managed ones like OVS and teamd) and
provides more or less comprehensive support of RTNL, nfnetlink (ipset),
netns (via ioctl) etc.

<skip/>

--
Peter V. Saveliev