[openstack-dev] [all] Change for automatic translation import

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Fri May 1 14:21:20 UTC 2015

Our PO files contain information about location (filename and line
numbers) as well as untranslated strings. Dolph suggested to me recently
to import into projects only the *translated* strings and I did some
investigation and implementation after discussion with the translation
team [1] - with the goal to decrease the size of these changes.

We will continue to push the full location information to transifex (our
translation tool) and leave it in the POT files that are stored in each
repository.

During the import from transifex into the OpenStack git repositories,
our scripts remove the location information from the PO files as well as
any untranslated strings thus reducing the files to import
significantly. This also reduces the change of an import significantly
since a line number change will not cause many location information to
be updated.

The gettext tools we use can cope fine with this smaller PO file since
it contains everything that is needed - just nothing more ;)

This has been tested successfully on the Documentation repositories and
now [2] has merged for the python projects that are translated. A
separate patch for horizon is under review [3].

The next import for translation will be larger than normal - it removes
lots of untranslated lines and the location information. Further patches
will then be smaller. So, don't be surprised by the next import [4]
(tomorrow),

Andreas

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-i18n/2015-April/001061.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/176947
[3] https://review.openstack.org/176943
[4]
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open++branch:master+topic:transifex/translations,n,z

    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
        Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)