[openstack-dev] [Manila] Mount automation using Zeroconf

Ben Swartzlander ben at swartzlander.org
Fri May 1 12:33:07 UTC 2015

On 05/01/2015 12:54 AM, Deepak Shetty wrote:
> Hi,
>   Have we considered cloud-init and qemu guest agent, I remember there
> was some discussion around this
> in the prev summit, but i couldn't find any etherpad/notes on that.
>
> I had one more question in this regards. Is it possible to do some
> kind of VM hotplug add operation as part of manila
> access allow which will cause the VM to see a new drive with a
> pre-specified label and a client inside the VM will
> mount it as part of the udev/uevent ?

The only way to get hotplug working for shares (that I know of) would be
to use virtfs. In that case the hypervisor would mount the share and
present it to the guest through a p9fs/virtio tunnel. This would be
pretty cool but also has a bunch of disadvantages:
* Doesn't work w/ Windows guests
* Doesn't work with hypervisors other than qemu/xen
* p9fs semantics are different than native nfs/cifs to the client
    * Some apps are coded to use NFS directly (not through the OS's
built in nfs client)
    * Many apps are tested/qualified with NFS/CIFS but not virtfs
    * Locking and FS metadata work significantly differently
* VirtFS appears to be abandonware

If anyone knows of a way other than VirtFS to get cool hotplug
semantics, I'd love to know. Also, if any of my above assertions are
false, I'd also love to know about that too.

-Ben Swartzlander