[openstack-dev] [nova] [scheduler] [gantt] Please stop using "Gantt" for discussing about Nova scheduler

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 07:49:13 UTC 2015

Le 31/03/2015 02:57, Dugger, Donald D a écrit :
> I actually prefer to use the term Gantt, it neatly encapsulates the discussions and it doesn't take much effort to realize that Gantt refers to the scheduler and, if you feel there is confusion, we can clarify things in the wiki page to emphasize the process: clean up the current scheduler interfaces and then split off the scheduler.  The end goal will be the Gantt scheduler and I'd prefer not to change the discussion.
>
> Bottom line is I don't see a need to drop the Gantt reference.

While I agree with you that *most* of the scheduler effort is to
spin-off the scheduler as a dedicated repository whose codename is
Gantt, there are some notes to do :
  1. not all the efforts are related to the split, some are only
reducing the tech debt within Nova (eg.
bp/detach-service-from-computenode has very little impact on the
scheduler itself, but rather on what is passed to the scheduler as
resources) and may confuse people who could wonder why it is related to
the split

2. We haven't yet agreed on a migration path for Gantt and what will
become the existing nova-scheduler. I seriously doubt that the Nova
community would accept to keep the existing nova-scheduler as a feature
duplicate to the future Gantt codebase, but that has been not yet
discussed and things can be less clear

3. Based on my experience, we are loosing contributors or people
interested in the scheduler area because they just don't know that Gantt
is actually at the moment the Nova scheduler.

I seriously don't think that if we decide to leave the Gantt codename
unused while we're working on Nova, it won't seriously impact our
capacity to propose an alternative based on a separate repository,
ideally as a cross-project service. It will just translate the reality,
ie. that Gantt is at the moment more an idea than a project.

-Sylvain