[openstack-dev] [QA] How will Tempest discover/run tests migrated to specific projects?

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Mon Mar 30 14:44:37 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:21:18PM +0530, Rohan Kanade wrote:
> Since tests can now be removed from Tempest <
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/QA/Tempest-test-removal> and migrated to
> their specific projects.
>
> Does Tempest plan to discover/run these tests in tempest gates? If yes, how
> is that going to be done?  Will there be a discovery mechanism in Tempest
> to discover tests from individual projects?

No, the idea behind that wiki page is to outline the procedure for finding
something that is out of scope and doesn't belong in tempest and is also safe
to remove from the tempest jobs. The point of going through that entire
procedure is that the test being removed should not be run in the tempest gates
anymore and will become the domain of the other project.

Also, IMO the moved test ideally won't be in the same pattern of a tempest test
or have the same constraints of a tempest test and would ideally be more coupled
to the project under test's internals. So that wouldn't be appropriate to
include in a tempest run either.

For example, the first test we removed with that procedure was:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/158852/

which removed the flavor negative tests from tempest. These were just testing
operations that would go no deeper than Nova's DB layer. Which was something
we couldn't verify in tempest. They also didn't really belong in tempest because
they were just implicitly verifying Nova's DB layer through API responses. The
replacement tests:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/nova/tests/functional/wsgi/test_flavor_manage.py

were able to verify the state of the DB was correct and ensure the correct
behavior both in the api and nova's internals. This kind of testing is something
which doesn't belong in tempest or any other external test suite. It is also
what I feel we should be targeting for with project specific in-tree functional
testing and the kind of thing we should be using the removal process on that
wiki page for.

-Matt Treinish