[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Status of the nova-network to Neutron migration work

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Fri Mar 27 17:28:58 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 01:17:48PM EDT, Jay Pipes wrote:
> But, there's the rub. Neutron *isn't* attractive to this set of people
> because:
>
> a) It doesn't provide for automatic (sub)net allocation for a user or
> tenant in the same way that nova-network just Gets This Done for a user
> that wants to launch an instance. As I think Kevin Fox mentioned, a
> cloud admin should be able to easily set up a bunch of networks usable
> by tenants, and Nova should be able to ask Neutron to just do the
> needful and wire up a subnet for use by the instance without the user
> needing to create a subnet, a router object, or wiring up the
> connectivity themselves. I complained about this very problem (of not
> having automated subnet and IP assignments) nearly *two years ago*:
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-July/011981.html
>
> and was told by Neutron core team members that they weren't really
> interested in changing Neutron to be more like Nova's network
> auto-service behaviours.

I can't speak for others, but I think the subnet allocation API is a
first step towards fixing that[1].

On the IPv6 side - I am adamant[2] that it should not require complex
operations since protocols like Prefix Delegation should make
provisioning networking dead simple to the user - similar to how Comcast
deploys IPv6 for residential customers - just "plug in". This will be a
big part of my speaking session with Carl[3].

[1]: http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/specs/kilo/subnet-allocation.html
[2]: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-March/059329.html
[3]: https://openstacksummitmay2015vancouver.sched.org/event/085f7141a451efc531430dc15d886bb2#.VQyLY0aMVE5

--