[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6] Prefix delegation and user facing API thoughts

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Wed Mar 18 13:12:37 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I recently posted this comment in the review for https://review.openstack.org/#/c/158697/,
and wanted to post it here so that people can respond. Basically, I have
concerns that I raised during the spec submission process
(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/93054/).

I'm still not totally on board with the proposed user facing API, where they create a subnet cidr of ::/64, then later it is updated by Neutron to actually be the cidr that is delegated. My hope is to have a user facing API that would require little to no user input (since we are relying on an external system to delegate us a subnet) and Neutron would create the required constructs internally. My hope is that either the new IPAM subsystem for subnet allocations would provide this, or that a small API extension could "paper over" some of the sharper edges.

Basically, I know we need the user to create a CIDR of ::/64 to satisfy the Neutron core API's requirement that a subnet MUST have a CIDR when creating, but I think that in the case of prefix delegation we shouldn't expose this sharp edge to the user by default.

Does this make sense?

--
Sean M. Collins