[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Status of the nova-network to Neutron migration work

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 17:02:47 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:35 AM, Fox, Kevin M <Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov> wrote:

>  So I would expect the number of folks needing to go from nova-network to
> neutron to be a small number of clouds, not a big number. Changing the
> defaults now to favor that small minority of clouds, seems like an odd
> choice.

This is not the default for deployments, except for the ignorant people
using DevStack for deployment and they have already self-selected for
failure by doing that in the first place.

> Really, I don't think finding the right solution to migrate those still
> using nova-network to neutron has anything to do with what the default out
> of the box experience for new clouds should be...

Honestly, I don't give a rat's a$$ about the migrations.  But I do care
about the knowledge required to mentally shift from nova-net to neutron.
And we have failed there.  DevStack has totally failed there to make
Neutron usable without having to learn far too much to just get a dev cloud.

Having linuxbridge be the default for folks moving from nova-network to
> neutron might make much more sense then saying everyone should by default
> get linuxbridge.

The complaint was about DevStack using LB as its default.  I DO NOT want
the overhead of OVS on my development VMs when I am not doing any
network-related work. I am not alone here.

Simple things MUST be simple to do.

dt

--

Dean Troyer