[openstack-dev] How to do once off/infrequent meetings?

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Thu Mar 26 23:49:38 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 03:23:29PM +0000, Bailey, Darragh wrote:

> I was looking at using the meetings service
> (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings) to run and log a meeting on a
> stackforge project (git-upstream -
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/stackforge/git-upstream), which seems to
> focus on reoccurring meetings.
>
> So I'm wondering how best to register an adhoc meeting, I'm sure there
> may be others in the future, but the project isn't at the point where it
> would be useful to run a regular meeting.
>
> I'm happy enough to just run this through the standard IRC channel in
> this case, but I figured it might be better if I found out if it was
> possible to use the meetings service?
>

> btw, if anyone is interested in the project git-upstream the
> discussion/meeting is happening tomorrow in the #git-upstream IRC
> channel @5pm UTC.

There are a few of reasons to 'register' the meeting.

1) so people know where to be when

 * As this is an adhoc meeting I don't think 1 applies as you'll have some
   other way of ensuring that the people you need are on IRC.

2) To ensure that there is a conflict free venue available.

 * If you want the logging and such I think you can use a free meetiung room.
   You can use[1] to check if a room is free.  Note if 2 or more groups use
   this method then it fails and you shoudl fallback to booking a room.

3) For logging and archiving of the discussions and outcomes.

 * If you're in one of the std. openstack meeting rooms then you can just use
   the std. MeetBot commands to log your meeting.

Of course if this is a becomes a regular meeting you should certainly create a
meeting.

Yours Tony.

[1] https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=bj05mroquq28jhud58esggqmh4%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Iceland/Reykjavik
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/CreateaMeeting