[openstack-dev] Cinder Third-Party CI: what next? (was Re: [cinder] Request exemption for removal of NetApp FC drivers (no voting CI))

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:30:29 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:52 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
wrote:

> Walter A. Boring IV wrote:
> > Thanks Mike for all of your efforts on this,
>
> +1
>
> I think Mike checked all the possible boxes to give fair warning to
> driver owners.
>
> It's hard to say "no" in the name of quality. It's so much easier to
> just say "yes" and avoid all the hatemail and the pressure.
>
> Mike did the right thing, he did it the right way, and he needs all the
> support the rest of our community can give him.
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

​Just adding my support to the very hard thing that Mike is doing here.  As
mentioned discussions and warnings have gone on ad nauseum over the last
year.  I may not agree with some of the wording or depictions, ​and I
certainly am empathetic here; but the fact is this has been a year long
process that was communicated, discussed and help provided.  NOTE this
started at the summit in Atlanta!!!

CI can be hard, the work of a lot of people in Cinder, the Infra team and
others have made it a lot easier.  People have also spent countless hours
writing code for this, setting up their own systems and helping others out
via IRC and even a dedicated weekly meeting as well as a time slot every
week in Cinders meeting.

If the reasons were different than "my data center went offline" or "I
can't host a public web server" I might have a different opinion.  But I
have a really hard time with this sort of thing coming from companies the
size and scale of Microsoft, NetApp and Oracle.

Anyway, I do feel bad but not as bad as I'd feel for everybody that worked
their butts off on this whole topic for the last year if we turn around and
punt it again.

John