[openstack-dev] Cinder Third-Party CI: what next? (was Re: [cinder] Request exemption for removal of NetApp FC drivers (no voting CI))

Avishay Traeger avishay at stratoscale.com
Tue Mar 24 07:15:21 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 9:23 PM, Anita Kuno <anteaya at anteaya.info> wrote:

> I'm really disappointed that there hasn't been more support for Mike in
> this process. I can see how everyone thought I was the problem last year
> when I had to endure this kind of treatment in Neutron, but I would
> think after seeing the exact same kind of behaviour a second time folks
> might be starting to see the pattern.

This CI is in my opinion one of the most important undertakings in Cinder
to date.  Cinder is basically an abstraction over a set of drivers, so
testing those drivers is very important.  This is especially true for those
that deploy OpenStack at various customer sites, each with different
hardware, and up to now just had to pray that things worked.

The discussion about the CI has been going on forever.  Mike brought it up
so many times in every forum possible and did a great job with this
difficult task.  While I understand that setting this up is not a simple
task, I think there was enough time.  We have been discussing this CI
forever, and if action is not taken now, it will never happen.

This is not the end of the world for drivers that are removed.  Some
drivers are already hosted in their own github repos as well as in
Cinder's, so vendors can go with that route.  Or maybe there will be an
exception made to allow backports for removed drivers (I'm not sure this is
a good idea).

Anyway, I'm very happy to finally have a release where I know that all
drivers are more-or-less working.  Kudos to Mike, and to all of the Cinder
folks that pioneered the effort and provided support to those that followed.

--
*Avishay Traeger*
*Storage R&D*

Mobile: +972 54 447 1475