[openstack-dev] Cinder Third-Party CI: what next?

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Mon Mar 23 21:47:29 UTC 2015

On 03/23/2015 05:21 PM, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-03-23 at 16:23 -0400, Anita Kuno wrote:
>> Some folks just will not respect other people's time. To pretend
>> otherwise is a huge dis-service to folks trying their hardest to
>> support those worthy of the support.
>
> This may be true in general but I have yet to be convinced that this is
> the case.
That's fine. This isn't a fun space and many folks I have talked to have
purposely stayed out of it so as to not be involved. I think some folks
refer to it as a tar pit.

That's fine if you aren't convinced, I am long ago.

> My impression is that the situation is more complex than just
> lack of respect for other people's time.
Sure since that is what folks would like you to believe so they can
continue to not do the work.

>> I'm really disappointed that there hasn't been more support for Mike
>> in this process.
>
> I've been supporting Mike in this decision and have not seen any element
> that makes me believe that Mike's position is not supported. Where have
> you seen lack of support?
Well I'll tell you, having to deal with third party ci folks day after
day gets mighty lonely as noone else will touch it with a ten foot pole.
So that is nice to see you post to the mailing list that you support
Mike, thank you.

> Going back to the point, in Paris I have been told that deadlines are
> hard to know. We've changed and this time you and Mike and cinder core
> and the whole Third-Party-CI team have been doing a lot more than in the
> past to keep people informed about deadlines, offering help,
> documentation, mentoring, etc.
>
> And still, that was not enough for some major members of OpenStack who
> failed to meet the deadlines.
I agree with you on this point, despite our best and continual effort
some folks fail to be able to meet expectations here. Is it possible
they don't feel they have to?

> That's why I am *not* asking you or Mike
> what you can do better.
>
> I'm asking the folks at NetApp, Huawei and others to tell us what they
> think should be done differently.
If you are asking what they think they should do differently, then I too
am keen to hear what they have to say for themselves.

Thanks stef,
Anita.