[openstack-dev] [horizon][heat]Vote for Openstack L summit topic "The Heat Orchestration Template Builder: A demonstration"

Timur Sufiev tsufiev at mirantis.com
Thu Mar 19 15:03:26 UTC 2015

Nikunj,

aren't you going to present this talk together with Drago Rosson since he's
the sole developer of Hotbuilder? That would be fair.

Anyways, thanks for advertising Hotbuilder and Merlin :), both me and Drago
have been spending inexcusably too little time spreading the word in the
mailing list as of late, so there was definitely a lack of news about
Hotbuilder and Merlin. I'll try to shed some light onto our recent
achievements.

As you may already know, currently the Mistral Workbook builder is being
developed as part of Merlin project. Both Mistral workbook builder and
Hotbuilder use the Barricade.js library, which provides data layer
abstraction for them, and is being developed also by Drago with some
episodic contributions from my side. The most important difference between
Hotbuilder and Mistral Workbook builder is (besides the Heat templates vs.
Mistral Workbook domain) is the rest part of the technologies stack - I
have employed Angular.js framework for rendering the data model expressed
as Barricade.js object, while Drago used Knockout.js framework to achieve
the same goals for Hotbuilder. IMHO the Angular.js usage makes the code of
Workbook builder more readable :).

Speaking of Hotbuilder, it's now completely opensourced at
https://github.com/rackerlabs/hotbuilder and
https://github.com/dragorosson/hotbuilder_horizon (the second repo is a
compatibility code between the hotbuilder and horizon). My colleague Paul
Karikh fork-merged 2 repos into
https://github.com/pkarikh/hotbuilder_horizon_deploy, since we had some
difficulties making the original code run with Horizon (so it's just the
same code from Drago's repos with a couple of changes to make it work for
us). AFAIK, Drago is already working on the fixes.

Moreover, together with Drago we had submitted a talk about Merlin and
Barricade, but since we hadn't spent enough time promoting it, it's still
unknown whether it's accepted or not :(. Yet I hope we'll present a short
demonstration + overview of Merlin + Barricade technologies on one of the
Horizon design sessions.

Timur Sufiev