[openstack-dev] [Nova][Cinder] Questions re progress

Adam Lawson alawson at aqorn.com
Wed Mar 18 17:40:12 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

Got some questions for whether certain use cases have been addressed and if
so, where things are at. A few things I find particularly interesting:

   - Automatic Nova evacuation for VM's using shared storage
   - Using Swift as a back-end for Cinder

I know we discussed Nova evacuate last year with some dialog leading into
the Paris Operator Summit and there were valid unknowns around what would
be required to constitute a host being "down", by what logic that would be
calculated and what would be required to initiate the move and which
project should own the code to make it happen. Just wondering where we are
with that.

On a separate note, Ceph has the ability to act as a back-end for Cinder,
Swift does not. Perhaps there are performance trade-offs to consider but
I'm a big fan of service plane abstraction and what I'm not a fan of is
tying data to physical hardware. The fact this continues to be the case
with Cinder troubles me.

So a question; are these being addressed somewhere in some context? I
admittedly don't want to distract momentum on the Nova/Cinder teams, but I
am curious if these exist (or conflict) with our current infrastructure
blueprints?

Mahalo,
Adam

*Adam Lawson*