[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Common library for shared code

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Mar 18 15:22:29 UTC 2015

On 03/17/2015 09:13 AM, Zane Bitter wrote:
> On 16/03/15 16:38, Ben Nemec wrote:

>>> Yes, actually I think most of the devtest_overcloud content fits
>>> os-cloud-config (and IIRC for this purpose os-cloud-config was created).

>>> Well, the scope of this lib will be beyond configuration of a cloud so
>>> having "-config" in the name is not ideal. Based on feedback in this
>>> thread I tend to go ahead with os-cloud-management and unless someone
>>> rises an objection here now, I'll ask infra team what is the process of
>>> adding the lib to stackforge.
>>
>> Any particular reason you want to start on stackforge?  If we're going
>> to be consuming this in TripleO (and it's basically going to be
>> functionality graduating from incubator) I'd rather just have it in the
>> openstack namespace.  The overhead of some day having to rename this
>> project seems unnecessary in this case.
>
> I think the long-term hope for this code is for it to move behind the
> Tuskar API, so at this stage the library is mostly to bootstrap that
> development to the point where the API is more or less settled. In that
> sense stackforge seems like a natural fit, but if folks feel strongly
> that it should be part of TripleO (i.e. in the openstack namespace) from
> the beginning then there's probably nothing wrong with that either.

So is this eventually going to live in Tuskar?  If so, I would point out
that it's going to be awkward to move it there if it starts out as a
separate thing.  There's no good way I know of to copy code from one git
repo to another without losing its history.

I guess my main thing is that everyone seems to agree we need to do
this, so it's not like we're testing the viability of a new project.
I'd rather put this code in the right place up front than have to mess
around with moving it later.  That said, this is kind of outside my
purview so I don't want to hold things up, I just want to make sure
we've given some thought to where it lives.

-Ben