[openstack-dev] [Glance] Experimental API

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 19:42:41 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Brian Rosmaita <
brian.rosmaita at rackspace.com> wrote:

> I don't know how elaborate we want to get here, but Everett Toews had an
> interesting suggestion in the openstack-api channel. It would go something
> like this:
>
> (1) User gets "/x1/search" endpoint from service catalog
> (2) User does some request against /x1/search
> (3) User receives 400 with an error message like:
> This is an experimental API.
> You must include the following header with your request:
>     x-openstack-api-status: acknowledged
> By using this header, you acknowledge that while we think this API is
> pretty solid, we reserve the right to make breaking changes as we analyze
> usage patterns and API consumer comments during the experimental period.
> Please send comments to the OpenStack Future Development Mailing List with
> the subject "[Glance] x1 API".
> To subscribe to the mailing list:
> (4) User makes all subsequent requests including the
> x-openstack-api-status header

What keeps me, as a shady client, from just including
x-openstack-api-status  from the start?  and how is that different from
intentionally selecting an EXPERIEMNTAL endpoint form the service catalog?

> If we did something like that, my conscience would be completely clean if
> we wound up introducing a breaking change.

You also could do proper versioning even though it is experimental.
That'll help prove the version handling is working properly too.  As a dev
trying to get early use on an experimental API, I still need to be able to
detect when changes occur.

dt

--

Dean Troyer