[openstack-dev] Avoiding regression in project governance

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Mar 12 08:05:24 UTC 2015

Ed Leafe wrote:
> [...]
> So what is "production-ready"? And how would you trust any such
> designation? I think that it should be the responsibility of groups
> outside of OpenStack development to make that call.

We discussed that particular point at the Ops Summit: how to describe
and objectively define maturity ? The developers (or the members of the
TC) are obviously not the best placed to make such a call, the
information needs to come from downstream users.

We concluded that "maturity" is difficult to define in a single tag, and
that everyone will have a different definition for it. What we need to
do is define and apply a number of tags that help downstream consumers
assess the degree of maturity of a project, for their own definition of
maturity.

For example we discussed the possibility of an "operationability" (ew)
tag, that would be applied to projects which indicate some operational
maturity (like not requiring you to manually push rows in database to
run it). We discussed availability (packaging in open source
distributions) and popularity (as reported in surveys and/or public
cloud deployments).

A working group will be put in place with operators to further refine
these concepts

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)