[openstack-dev] [nova] Network issue with libvirt-xen driver, iptables race

Anthony PERARD anthony.perard at citrix.com
Tue Jun 30 14:02:54 UTC 2015

Hi all,

We have an issue with the driver libvirt-xen. When a guest is started by
Nova, nova-network is going to do some network setup and call
iptables-{save,restore}, and the Xen toolstack is going to setup the
vif of the guest, via a script, which also update the iptables.

The Xen script is simply calling those commands:
  ip link set dev ${dev} down
  ip link set dev ${dev} address fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
  ip address flush dev ${dev}
  brctl addif ${bridge} ${dev}
  ip link set dev ${dev} up
  iptables -I FORWARD -m physdev --physdev-is-bridged --physdev-in "$dev" -j ACCEPT
  iptables -I FORWARD -m physdev --physdev-is-bridged --physdev-out "$dev" -j ACCEPT

$dev been by default vif$domid.$devid.

Only the call to iptables is an issue and fail fairly often when it looses
the race against iptables-{save,restore}.

It is possible to have Nova asking to run a different script that would not
call iptables. But that script would need to be store somewhere, in the
nova repo would be best.

Any though on that?

Is `iptables` call necessary for the vif with OpenStack?
If so, can nova-network do the update? Or the script called by the Xen
toolstack could take an OpenStack lock before calling iptables?

Bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1461642

Anthony PERARD