[openstack-dev] [Nova] The unbearable lightness of specs

Nikola Đipanov ndipanov at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 08:58:59 UTC 2015

On 06/26/2015 08:15 PM, Tim Bell wrote:

> Limiting those who give input to the people who can analyse python and determine the impacts of the change has significant risks. Many of those running OpenStack clouds can give their feedback as part of the specs process. While this may not be as fully structured as you would like, ignoring the input from those who are running clouds when proposing a change is likely to cause problems later on.
>
> The specs process was developed jointly to allow exactly this kind of early input ... people writing the code wanted input from those who were using this code to deliver new functions and improvements to the end users of the cloud. No problem to discuss how to improve the process but it is important to allow all the people affected by a change to be involved in the solution and contribute, not just the ones writing the code.

These are very valid points. Input from users/deployers is extremely
important. One of the main points of the "agile" way of producing
software is about shortening the feedback loop by producing working code
to comment on, as opposed to defining requirements fully before writing
code.

I think that in the case of certain problems having as much information
up front and solid feedback from the operator's community is very
valuable, but I also feel that there are cases where after a point,
prototyping can give better results (partly due to the nature of the
tools we use and our reviewing culture as you mention above).

N.