[openstack-dev] Why doesn't Swift cache object data?

Michael Barton mike at weirdlooking.com
Sat Jun 27 03:16:15 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 7:35 PM, 杨苏立 Yang Su Li <yangsuli at gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess that is an excellent answer on "why does swift explicitly disable
> object data caching at the page cache level". But my question is a bit
> different "Why doesn't swift use memcached to cache object data?" Not that
> it is a bit different than implementing it yourself at the proxy server.
> All you need to do is to write a middleware to talk to the memcached
> cluster, and swift already does that for account info etc.

What's the logical difference between having object data in memory on a
memcache server and having it in page cache on an object server?  It's
architecturally similar, just memcache is fast and Swift is slow.

I've always thought we should just make Swift fast enough that a separate
caching layer isn't necessary.  We're mostly serving static files, and
nobody puts a cache in front of nginx.  (If you're from the future and
you're using EC, feel free to re-evaluate)

-- Mike